Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ride for Sunday, 23 April

Went for a ride to Peggy's Cove today following the usual route. I was dressed in cycling t-shirt and shorts since it was so warm, but I was surprised that every cyclist I saw on the road was dressed in a windbreaker and cycling pants. Now, the group of tourists I saw (replete with panniers) could be excused if they're from a particularly warm region, but the rest were just being wussies - even in a t-shirt and shorts I was dripping sweat at some points.

I took the Nishiki and travelled light, so no photos. I took the hydration pack I got for doing the MS150 last year; it takes around 2 litres of water and not a whole lot more, so I think I might be looking at a frame bag to carry the extra toys like camera and GPS. It was a good ride, though, albeit a bit on the breezy side - I think I should have taken the anticlockwise route as there were winds against me most of the way...

Distance logged: 91.509km
Time: 206:39
Average speed: 26.6km/hr
Max speed: 60.2 km/hr
Temperature: 12-18C, sunny, breezy
Cumulative distance: 2470.213km
Cumulative cost per km: $0.47
Monthly distance: 659.460km
Monthly cost per km: $0.63

2 Comments:

Blogger Arbit said...

Hi...an amateur biker here...just a question...is there a lot of difference on tackling up-slopes with a bike that does/doesn't have gears...would appreciate a comment on it..thanks

Monday, April 24, 2006 12:34:00 pm  
Blogger steve said...

If you use gears then you can drop down to a lower gear and "spin" - this is when you pedal faster, but put less pressure on your knees. If you live in a flat area, you can get away without using gears, although you then have to decide what size gear you want to use - if you have a bigger gear, you can ride faster, but it's harder to pedal up to speed.

If you're in a hilly area (like I am) I wouldn't recommend using a bike without gears. Even a 3 speed would be enough. If I were on a fixed or single speed bike, I'd have problems getting up some of the hills we have in Halifax. On a fixed gear bike I would have problems going downhill, too.

Monday, April 24, 2006 4:34:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home